Innovation is at the core of the development and Stellenbosch Bridge seeks to become the home of South Africa’s most talented individuals and companies – enabling the development of a vibrant and entrepreneurial business community in Stellenbosch and the broader region.
The distinctive feature of the first phase of the development will be the 30-hectare world-class innovation precinct to be established in partnership with the University of Stellenbosch.
Around 14 hectares of the innovation precinct has been donated to the university, as well as a further 16 hectares of agricultural land – cementing a strategic partnership which will benefit the whole region. The innovation precinct will be anchored by The Workshop, an incubator for start-up businesses, which will be managed by the university’s highly experienced and respected innovation company Innovus and will be home to its spin-off initiative, the LaunchLab, which functions as a business accelerator.
To create and drive an integrated entrepreneurial ecosystem attracting the best talent, enabling them to harness research and technology to drive economic growth and innovative development, create employment and improve quality of life in a sustainable manner.
- Ranked among the top 300 universities in the world*
- +30 000 students, 33% are postgraduate
- +4 300 international students from +100 countries
- Research-intensive university
- 10 faculties on 5 campuses, and +1 000 academic staff
- Leading innovation
*Times Higher Education
Innovus is Stellenbosch University’s leading commercial unit responsible for:
- Technology transfer
- The most patents registered in South Africa in the past decade • A group of 24 companies
- SUNCOM (campus residential services, compliance and food
services, SU facility rental, shops, botanical garden, copy and
print services, conference and event support) •
- Copyright, short courses, and trademarks.
Innovus is the driving force behind the establishment of the University Technology Fund, and is the founder of the Stellenbosch Network.
The LaunchLab is the leading university-based incubator in Africa. The LaunchLab:
- Is an initiative of Innovus
- Transforms seemingly impossible ideas into world-shaping businesses
- Works with both campus-based and external entrepreneurs to incubate their businesses and develop them to become business leaders
- Offers mentorship, coaching, fundraising, and access to networks, investors and markets
- Provides office space, event space, a hot seat area, a coffee shop, and maker space
- Is globally acknowledged for excellence.
The Workshop will consist of a vibrant mix of innovators, entrepreneurs, visionaries and like-minded locals looking to build a smarter and better world and responding to the constantly changing needs of businesses and society.
The innovation precinct will incorporate clusters of industry, research and education activity. It ties in with the vision of the University of Stellenbosch to be Africa’s leading research- intensive tertiary institution, globally recognised as excellent, inclusive and innovative, a place where knowledge is advanced in service of society. Plans by the university to develop facilities supporting tertiary instruction, applied research, recreational facilities, and specialised services to start up firms at Stellenbosch Bridge will be finalised in due course.